Saturday, May 15, 2010

On Homesickness

True Loves,

Now that I'm not homesick anymore I thought it was a good time to write about it. While in my room sulking I pondered the reasons for homesickness. One of the hardest things about being abroad is no one here has known you longer than a couple months. It's tough when you want to reminisce about that party or that adventure, you want to tell one of those "you had to be there" stories but no one here was.

It was really awful for a couple weeks. Readjusting friendships, missing friends back home, and family, and definitely boyfriend. When you're not at the comfort level of hugging the people your with life can feel lonely.

But now life is better. I realized the things I need to do to keep myself sane (i.e. hanging out with the other girls from UMASS since at least they know what Bueno is) and making sure to nurture my new friendships too. Most relationships take work and that's unfortunate but it's a fact of life.

I've finally become at ease here, now all I need is some warm weather and I can be at ease outside.

With Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment