Thursday, April 29, 2010

On Feet

True Loves,

I think the key to not looking like a tourist is your feet. It seems while clothing fashion seems to be a global novelty footwear is its own story. While from the ankles up I couldn't tell you if the people sharing the sidewalk with me were from Germany or not, watching their feet can really give good insight. Rubber flip flops-tourist, gaudy sandals-resident, self altered converse-tourist, leather converse (I'm serious) -resident, running shoes-tourist, atypical sneakers - resident, and so on. It seems the key to fitting in is how you fit your feet. And that goes beyond shoes.

Pace is another way to determine who belongs and who is visiting. I believe there is an unconscious understanding of how fast you're supposed to walk down the streets and around shopping alcoves. I'm definitely a tourist here, maybe its the ADD but I just can not stop looking at and touching everything put out on the street by various vendors!

I believe the only exception to this rule might be gladiator sandals which seem to be popular everywhere. I want a pair terribly.

With Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment