Friday, March 12, 2010

Food

True Loves,

One of the thigns I love most about Germany is their attitude about food. I have yet to see any young women counting calories or avoiding the chocolate croissants in favor of granola. I eat very well here. It's great because without intending to you eat at normal times and usually you take a long walk at some point during the day, I think my body is happier with me than its been in a while.

Another perk of being in a German language course right now is my friends from all over the world have been cooking for me. Marta made me italian food and last night Tereza who "doesn't believe in frozen food" decided to "simply whip up" an incredible pasta and vegitable dish. I definitely made the right friends.

One of the things I'm having a difficult time with is my sense of humor, it's probably the most American thing about me. Yesterday we went to a karaoke bar and I thought it would be hilarious to do a rendition of Marvin Gaye...apparently Germans take Karaoke very seriously. It was met with blank stares. Oops. I'll know better for next time. In addition to this the awkward humor that I find the most entertaining doesn't quite translate. Oh well, its an adjustment, at least I have some American friends here for when I feel the desire to make an innuendo or observation that might not entirely translate into other languages. Michael Scott would have a lot of trouble here.

Anyway, I should do some more studying. I'm in the Language Lab right now working on phoenetics and the Dative tense. Eugh!

With love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment